February 6, 2011

Magic Bites

Magic Bites
By Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels #1
272 Pages
E Book
Published March 27th, 2007
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Monster Focus: Shapeshifters, Vampires, Necromancers...TBD

I was really excited to read this book, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. This book started out really promising, but got confusing towards the end. There wasn't enough explanation of the world and the rules of the magic within it. Andrews just throws us into Kate's world with no idea of when or where she has sent us.

I want to be clear. I did like this book, but there just wasn't enough world building and character development for me. Kate is a great character. Strong, smart, and intense, she handles everything that is thrown at her with a punch in the face, however she seems to be in the same place attitude wise as she was at the beginning of the book. Curran, the character that seems to be set up as Kate's love interest, is cool, sexy, and fierce however we don't get a lot of his personality in this book.

I will be trying out the next books in the series to see if they clear up the inconsistencies and holes that lost me in this book. This is a series I badly want to like because it has gotten such good reviews. I can see the potential for greatness here, but it just hasn't gotten there for me yet.

No comments: