September 1, 2011

Book Review: Hunting Ground

Hunting Ground
Patricia Briggs
Alpha & Omega #2
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Creature Feature: Werewolves, Vampires, Fae
Rating: 3

Anna and Charles attend a werewolf conference in Seattle where the world's alphas are gathering to decide whether to come out to the public or not. Politics and danger await them as someone has it out for Anna.

I didn't like this one as much as the first. Don't get me wrong, I love this series, this couple, and this world. I liked Hunting Ground it just lacked that wonderful welling up of emotion I got from the first book and the short story that precedes it. Anna and Charles are a wonderful match and Anna is proving to be such a strong willed and utterly courageous mate. This newest installment in the series was an interesting lesson in werewolf politics and pack magic, and the inclusion of Arthurian legend really brought it all together near the end. I just would have liked to see something more concrete on Anna and Charles' relationship. It almost feels like we are back at the short story. When is Anna going to finally trust Charles and open up to him? It's just a bit frustrating to me.

That being said, I am looking forward to the release of the next book Fair Game which is set to release February 2nd, 2012. Now isn't that just a nice long wait?

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Good review! I'm not familiar with the series, though the paranormal genre isn't my area.

Joann H. Buchanan said...

This is a beautiful blog!

Wicked said...

@William, Thanks! It's a genre I enjoy very much so I try to read many different types of paranormal fiction.

@Joann Thank you so much! I'm still trying to improve, but I feel like I've done a pretty good job. It helps having a computer engineer for a brother. :-)