September 6, 2011

Book Review: Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead

Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead
Christiana Miller
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Humor
Rating 5

Mara just can't seem to catch a break. Her witchy ways are getting her into trouble left and right and just when things start to look up, she realizes the cozy country cottage she inherited from her Aunt Tillie has a few dark passengers. Will Mara be able to survive her legacy with the help of  her own power, a tricky toad, and a flamboyantly fearless best friend?

This was so much fun to read I didn't want it to end! Christiana Miller weaves a captivating spell with a whole lot of humor, a generous portion of thrill, and just a dash of heat.

By no means would I call this a paranormal romance, however I feel it fits into the urban fantasy category nicely with its magical and chilling elements.Right from the start I knew I was going to love this book. The humor, sometimes quirky, sometimes dry, is non-stop and often offers relief from some of the scarier moments of the story. I had to stop reading this at night because Mara's dreams and her interactions with the cottage's other inhabitants were seriously creeping me out.

Miller's grasp of creating memorable and nearly palpable characters is incredible. As much as I love Mara, I'd have to say Gus was my favorite character. He is honestly just so funny and crazy you never know what he's going to do next. Gus is also a great friend to Mara. I teared up when they had to part ways for our girl to go live in Aunt Tillie's house. I missed Gus right along with Mara and felt her joy whenever he popped back into the story. 

If you are looking for a paranormal story that has it all, this is it! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll probably pee your pants at some point whether it be from laughter or fear or both. I just can't begin to emphasize how well this book integrates humor and drama in just the right amounts. Whatever emotions, or bodily functions, this book evokes in you, there is no doubt you will have a great time.

For more information on Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead, a possible sequel, and the author herself, stay tuned this month for our Wicked interview with Christiana Miller. In the meantime, go pick yourself up a copy! 
Amazon.com
BarnesandNoble.com

4 comments:

Krisztina Clifton said...

That sounds good! I love witch books, and that cover looks great!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a cute book to read. I love the cover.

Maria Schneider said...

I've been trying to make up my mind on this one...the sample was good, but I can't tell if it's more cozy or urban fantasy or somewhere in the middle!

Maria

Wicked said...

That is, I think, the best part about this book is it has elements of both. I definitely got cozy with it, however once things really got going I had a hard time sitting still as I anticipated what was going to happen next. The author really gets you involved in the characters and then puts them in scary situations, so you feel like, "I love this character like they were my own dear friend. I don't want anything bad to happen to them!"

It can be tricky sometimes buying indie books, but I highly recommend this one. Plus, it pretty reasonably priced.